Friday, February 15, 2008

Welcome, Ghosts

A few months ago, I downloaded a compilation from Insound that contained all kinds of new and up-and-coming hipster music. I bypassed most of the typical filler crap when I became fixated by the band, Explosions In The Sky. The name sounded familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I played the MP3 and again thought to myself, "Where have I heard this before?" I then proceeded Yahoo! the band (boo Google) and remembered these were the dudes who did most of the score for the 2004 film, Friday Night Lights. I am very big on soundtracks, and I remember the Explosions songs (way back when) REALLY adding to drama of an already fantastic movie (quick aside: you mix football with movies and I'm hooked). As it turns out, this band was so crucial to the success of the film, that they were brought back to contribute a handful of their songs for the TV version of FNL (equally amazing, FYI).

Just a quick summary: Explosions In The Sky (below, right) is an Austin-based instrumental "post-rock" quartet known for their orchestrated guitars, cinematic arrangements. They've been around since 2000 and have since released four equally amazing studio albums. Normally, I'd recommend a starting point for this band, but you really can't go wrong with any of their releases. Borrowing a line from Bill Simmons, their songs are so epic that playing them in the background can pretty much turn any routine task into a life-changing experience. Without any lyrics, it is difficult to gauge what any of their songs are really about -- but I guess it is up to the listener to decide. Elaborate titles such as "The Birth and Death of the Day" and "With Tired Eyes, Tired Minds, Tired Souls, We Slept", only give away one thing: that these songs are supposed to be intense. Since discovering Explosions, the band has become a staple of my iPod. For those lucky enough to live in the NYC region, they will be playing a show at Terminal 5 in April.

Essential Explosions In The Sky:
"A Poor Man's Memory"
"Welcome Ghosts"
"It's Natural To Be Afraid"
"So Long Lonesome"
"Your Hand In Mine"
"First Breath After Come"
"A Slow dance"

No comments: