Saturday, September 26, 2009

A Sort of Homecoming

I was just one of the 190,000 ants that packed Giants Stadium this week for the U2 pilgrimage. Although admittedly not a fanatic for this band (and certainly not one of those dudes who holds up my country's flag), I couldn't pass up on the opportunity to see what will more than likely go down as my generation's defining band. Given U2's penchant for conveniently titling songs situationally, I am going to breakdown my experience as such:


"Beautiful Day"
When I learned of these shows earlier in the year, I was ambivalent. Would I go if I somehow acquired a ticket? Yes. Would I care if I didn't? Not really. I missed out on ticket frenzy when they went on sale months ago, and really didn't think or care much of it. I read great things about Wednesday night's performance, so I'd be lying if I said I wasn't the slight bit envious of those lucky enough to go. At about 3 PM, I got the call. One of my clients got his hands on an extra ticket and decided that I of all people would be the lucky winner. Floor seats standing room! I couldn't pass this up. I got the go ahead to leave work early, and I was on my way. The sun was shining, the skies were clear, and the temperature was a perfect 72. The iPod has been officially set to shuffle through U2's catalog. Game on!

"Mysterious Ways"
I heard awful things about the transportation options for those city-dwellers who had to make their way to the Meadowlands for the shows. Luckily I was prepared, as the first night's disasters provided invaluable insight to us 2nd nighters. There were numerous horror stories about people having to wait for trains up to 2-3 hours because of of NJ Transit's unpreparedness for the sheer volume of commuters. I decided I was going to bus it from the Port Authority. I've done this for NFL games and Springsteen shows, and this has proved to be a pretty painless option in the past. Just one problem. NJ Transit decided to call an audible here by temporarily suspending service for these shows! I wish I knew this before I got there.

"Running To Stand Still"
I was told by a Port Authority worker that I had to catch the A train to Penn Station, then commute to Secaucus, and THEN transfer to a shuttle train to the Meadlowlands. YIKES. Had I known how cumbersome this would get, I might have turned down the ticket offer. Too many train transfers. I live in New York. I walk a lot. That's it, I am RUNNING to Penn Station.

"I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight"
This is frustrating. People in NYC still haven't learned how to walk correctly. I beeline it 9 blocks to Penn Station, give oblivious passersby usual dirty looks, and finally get to the station. Shit. Lines wrapped around the station to buy tickets to Secaucus. A sea of people in U2 t-shirts. Figures. I decide to avoid this process and jump on the next train ticketless. I figure there's no way they will have enough time to check everyone's ticket by the time the train makes it across the state for the first stop. I guess correctly. Ten minutes later, I am in the Garden State. We're making some progress here.

"One Step Closer"
Apparently I DO need a train ticket for the next transfer, however. I am pleased to learn that my quick thinking worked. The line to buy train tickets for the next transfer is nonexistent. This was the way to do it! My momma didn't raise no fool. I figure my brilliance saved me 30-45 minutes. I buy my ticket, walk through the turnstile, and rush to the platform for the Meadowlands shuttle. I am the smartest man in the world!

"The Sweetest Thing"
The shuttle takes about 15 minutes and drops us throngs of U2'ers right at the Giants Stadium gate. At this point, I don't know if I am more excited about the show, or the fact that I was able to get there in under an hour. Commuting disaster?! Please! My client left me a voice message to meet him in Lot 10B. As an added bonus, this is just a short walk from where I'm dropped off (right by the Izod overpass Giants Stadium-side, FYI). I spot my client, who is tailgating with his other early-50-something friends.

"The Hands That Built America"
Old people are crazy. Especially old people from Long Island. Nevertheless, these guys are the salt of the earth. Couldn't have been more accommodating. They urge me to grab beers from the cooler as they each one-up each other telling sex jokes and reasons why they love/hate their wives. I am half their age, but they have twice as much energy and excitement than me. I am either excited to terrified to one day become like them.

"Walk On"
Three beers in and about an hour later, we decide to make our way into the venue. Two of the four tailgaters have no desire to see the opener Muse, but convince them that they'd be missing out. Looks like I am the deciding vote. We walk our way from the endless parking lot into Giants Stadium.

"Even Better Than The Real Thing"
One of my biggest pet peeves is missing even one second from the set ofa band I REALLY want to see. I've have been dying to see Muse forever, and just because they happen to be the opening band on this evening, doesn't make this an exception. We are late for Muse, and I am a little bummed. By the time we hit the porto-potties, grab a an additional beer, and strategically claim our stake on the floor, the band is midway through "Knights of Cydonia" -- my favorite Muse song. I still get to witness the buildup of this epic tune, and am in awe of Matt Bellamy's guitar-shredding abilities. This band has been huge in Europe for years. I have a feeling they are going to get their just due in the coming months. I predict a headlining MSG show/amphitheater tour. Muse will be to 2010 what Kings of Leon were to this year.

"Electrical Storm"
Muse continues to melt my face! The band blazes through their most popular tunes. They wisely use their allotted hour to showcase the best of what they've got. They split their set between their past three albums (including most recent offering The Resistance). In 30 short minutes, I hear stadium-shaking renditions of "Supermassive Black Hole," "Starlight," "Hysteria," "Uprising," and the Queen-y "United States of Eurasia". If the night ended after Muse, I would walk away a happy camper. But oh wait, we have a little known band by the name of U2 on the way. Shucks.


"Magnificent"
Words cannot begin to even describe this tour's set design. Some people think it looks like a massive spider; others have called it a phallic spaceship. The first description that comes to mind is DECADENT. A view from the floor only accentuates this. Supposedly it takes 120+ semis to transport this bad boy as well as multiple days to set up/take down. I'm very curious as to see how the world's largest band is going to work this set/room. I am just with my client at this point. His other buddies were lucky enough to snag seats in one of the illustrious "RED Zones" -- elite standing room spots where they DON'T pen you in like cattle. No complaints though -- my vantage point is epic. I predict I am standing EXACTLY on the 50 yard line, where just days ago I witnessed the Jets take down the Pats. This is cool.

"Elevation"
You can feel the magic in the air as the hour approaches. The lights dim as David Bowie's "Space Oddity" appropriately blasts across the PA (I guess this means it's a spaceship, after all). The massive retractable 360-degree screen becomes a virtual countdown clock that brings the band out at "zero". The crowd is rabid. Larry Mullen Jr., then Adam Clayton, then The Edge, then finally Bono himself greet the 85,000 musical worshipers who have convened on this swamp. As this is a tour in support of their lackluster newest album, No Line On The Horizon, we know that we are in store for a smattering a songs that will go the wayside once we get some even new material from U2. The guys questionably open the set with a pair of these such tunes: "Breathe" and first single "Get On Your Boots". Although I'd prefer a stronger liftoff, this band could have very well played the worst song from their 30-year catalog and they would still get the reception they did. Nevertheless, they segue into "Mysterious Ways" and all is seemingly well on this planet at this given moment. To add to the momentum, they launch into "Beautiful Day" to the delight of the already euphoric sea of adoring fans.

"I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"
It's always a hassle to cram yourself into the perfect nook at a packed show. My client is more aggressive than I am, so there's nothing I can do but follow. To my delight, his gain is my gain, as (thanks to his efforts) we've been enjoying the show an indescribable angle. It's moments like this that I wished I owned a digital camera. However, all that beer drinking comes at a greater cost than the $8 you shell out to buy one. If I don't hit the urinals by the end of the next song, I am pretty sure I am going to piss myself. Fortunately, the song is "No Line On The Horizon" so this is perfect timing. I tell my client I will be right back. Famous last words. As I trek to the endzone and out the tunnel to the line of porto-potties, I realize that there going to a fat chance I will find him again. As I come out relieved and feeling like a new man, I get a true perspective of big this show really is. I try to estimate where I was standing pre-bathroom break, as I shimmy my way through the masses. No luck. I search and search and search, but cannot for the life of me find my concert buddy.

"Moment of Surrender"
I spend the next couple of songs - "Magnificent" and "Elevation" trying to find my dude. I was kind enough to be invited -- I will make a stand and leave no man behind! Not really. I resign fairly quickly and decide this just isn't happening. I must go solo the rest of the night. I experience one of those real-life soundtrack moments, as Bono and crew launch into the Joshua Tree oeuvre. I start laughing as I hear the intro to "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For". Absolute perfect timing.

"Rattle and Hum"
We reach the middle of the set, and I appears that everything is up for grabs song-selection wise. The band already played a handful off their most recent effort, so it was time to get to business. After ripping another new one, "Unknown Caller," the 80k+ was treated to the obscure Achtung Baby! track "Until The End of the World" before rattling off Zooropa's "Stay". Like most people, I forgot about this album's existence. Whatever, I'll take it.

"The Unforgettable Fire"
Now we're rolling! What would come next would prove to be one the more out-of-body concert experiences I've ever had. Given the ambiance, the size of the crowd, my location, and string of hits to follow, I am instantly converted into whatever cult Bono has been pushing for years. Save Africa? Sounds good to me! Bono can do no wrong. Some girl standing aside of me starts freaking out during the intro chords to "The Unforgettable Fire" (ok, me too). Quite possibly U2's least-known greatest hit, this could very well be the best song from the 80's. I'm stoked. It get's better! Old meets the new. Bono appears to be reading my mind, as the next song to follow is a song that should have been bigger than it was -- "City of Blinding Lights". I think of New York City and that episode of Entourage. No Neal Sussman dedication this time around. Bummer! I've learned that things comes in threes. So is the case tonight. We are assaulted with "Vertigo" and all I can think of is those iPod commercials circa 2004. This song still rocks.

"Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of"
Back to new material. For some reason the band decides to deconstruct New Line On The Horizon's only excellent song, "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Crazy Tonight". Or as I call it, "I Will Piss Myself If I Don't Hit The Urinals Again In Five Minutes". I am in no mood for a remix. I take this as a sign, experience a little deja vu, and make a run for it. No bathroom lines thankfully, and I make it back to my spot before the end of this butchered song.

"11 O'Clock Tick Tock"
I notice the hour is getting kind of late, and the band has yet to play a lot of anticipated material. No problem. They get right to it. "Sunday Bloody Sunday" coming right up! They even throw a cute "Rock The Casbah" outro to the end of this one, and proceed to blitz me with yet another Unforgettable Fire track, "MLK". Couldn't ask for anything more. I can sense this is the time Bono decides to get political on us. He dedicates the next song, "Walk On," to Aung San Suu Kyi -- the famed Burmese Nobel-laureate currently under house arrest. A host of people make their way to the stage holding Kyi masks over their faces throughout the duration of the song. Very inspiring/touching. I can't think of a better song to follow-up than "One," and Bono agrees. The lovefest continues and everyone in attendance appears to be having a moment together.

"Rejoice"
It's the moment everyone's been anticipating! The Edge begins his signature trancing guitar intro to "Where The Streets Have No Name". Adam Clayton's thumping bass welcomes in Larry Mullen's thunderous pounding. Bono wants to run. Bono wants to hide. Bono wants to tear down the walls that hold him inside. We all want to go with him.

"Is That All?"
Yes, for the regular set at least. It is just wrong to follow up another song after "Where The Streets Have No Name". This one was written to be the set-ender of all set-enders.

"Pride (In The Name of Love)"
The encore starts strong with another classic off Achtung -- "Ultraviolet". Bono appears to be singing into a bright, shiny steering-wheel mic suspended from the top of the set. Why the hell not? You know this night is not ending without "With or Without You". As expected, they go headlong into their signature love song. All of the 30,000 couples embrace, and halfway through I make my exit. I will have to explain this all to my client the next day.

"I Will Follow"
I wasn't the only one who had the bright idea about splitting just before the last song. People shuffled their way out as I did, but I managed to beat the rush. The police penned us in like farm animals until the first shuttle arrived. I was able to sneak my way onto the first train, and five minutes later I was on my way. As we receded from the swamp, I stared reflectively out the window gazing at the record-breaking crowd making their way out of that massive stadium. Taking in all I had just experienced, I could only think but one thing: "What, no 'Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me'?"

Just kidding. Concert of a lifetime.


No comments: