Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A Movie Script Ending

Amid last week's speculation from its excellent first day sales, it was confirmed today that Death Cab For Cutie's Narrow Stairs is officially the number one record in the country. Shipping just over 144,000 units, Stairs assaulted the competition in a rather slow music week, besting a Frank Sinatra compilation that bowed in at number two with 99,000 sold copies. Although I was a little disappointed with this new Death Cab record, I really need to give Ben Gibbard some props here. I remember hearing about these guys in college when they couldn't even sell out a tiny club show in Pittsburgh. Five years later, it's truly amazing to see how far a once relatively unknown indie band has come. Despite the pathetic truth that 150,000 copies will pretty much solidify a number one record these days, I really cannot discount this remarkable feat and how it translates into peoples' shifting preferences in popular music. Kudos, Death Cab!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I picked this up along with some other stuff this week. It's decent, but not as good as Plans. Maybe it will grow on me.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.