Monday, December 22, 2008

Stay Positive (Part 1)

As promised, I'm back to the 2008 retrospective stuff. I've decided the best of/worst of approach is getting a little played out and might reflect too much of pessimistic perspective. So from here on in, I'm gonna view the cup half full. Maybe this is a resolution I'll carry out into the new year -- who knows. I am just going to list the tops for the remaining major categories. These will be in traditional countdown fashion, as you'll see:

Top 10 Shows of 2008


Honorable Mention: The Gaslight Anthem @ Roseland Ballroom 10/13/08

Granted this band was designated the opening slot for a four-band bill, it might be a little controversial to to place in the top ten. However, this just goes to show how much I believe in the Gaslight Anthem. I'll give them my honorable mention spot. Churning out a majority of The '59 Sound's Jersey Shore-inspired catalog in the allotted 40 minutes, this was a make-or-break show for me. The fact that I continually rave about them will tell you how well that went. People are still talking about Gaslight's recent performance on Conan, so I think 2009 will only keep the momentum going for one of my new favorite bands.

10) Fountains of Wayne @ The Highline Ballroom 2/8/08

The saddest thing to consider about this New Jersey power-pop quartet is that they will likely go down in the annals of history as one-hit wonders for "Stacey's Mom." But like comrades Nada Surf, this band has produced some of the best pop-rock for the better part of the decade, and has been critically received for every album that's been put out. When I saw these guys in February, it was my first time at the Highline Ballroom (one of the better venues in Manhattan), so I was blown away by the sheer intimacy of venue as well as the slew of upbeat 3 and half minute beauties that were churned out with ease. Can't wait to see these guys again.

9) The Killers @ The Highline Ballroom 7/29/08

Same venue, MUCH different band. I was skeptical about the validity of this secret show because it was mysteriously easy to get tickets. As everyone knows, this is an arena-sized band -- for them to play the 600 person capacity Highline Ballroom was a little bit of a head scratcher. But when they did eventually come on, they knocked it out of the park. Combining the usual suspects with b-sides, lesser known tracks, and new songs "Spaceman" and "Neon Tiger," this show restored my faith in the band I hadn't really been into since college.

8) Ryan Adams & The Cardinals @ The Apollo Theatre 10/31/08

I know, I know. For someone who's a little too obsessed with this guy, the eight spot might seem a little out of place. This just goes to show how brilliant 2008 was for me in terms of concert attendance. Don't get me wrong; this was yet another classic Ryan Adams Halloween show -- the fact that it was at the legendary Apollo Theater was worth the trip alone. Skewing mostly new material, Adams decided it was a good idea to avoid the very songs that helped to build his strong fan base. I don't know how well this strategy was received by those in attendance, but it worked for me. His clean attitude has surely led to spot-on singing/guitar playing.

7) The National @ Brooklyn Academy of Music 2/23/08

Another legendary venue, another soon-to-be legendary band. This marked the first show of the year I'd been to outside of Manhattan, and let's just say it was worth the borough crossover. Matt Berninger's morose baritone set the tone for a memorably bleak winter evening (in a good way). Playing most of the songs off of many critics' top 2007 pick (Boxer), as well as host of old material I was admittedly unfamiliar with, this show officially made me a believer. I'm looking forward to this band's follow-up, which will hopefully see an '09 release.

6) Mark Kozelek @ The Highline Ballroom 6/13/08

I think it's pretty apparent which New York venue wins MVP this year for me. I think this show takes the cake for most anticipated concert of the year. Ghosts of the Great Highway remains one of the best records of all time for me, and by June I was REALLY getting into the most recent Sun Kil Moon album, April. Not to mention Kozelek's solo stuff AND his catalog with former '90's band Red House Painters. So yeah, a lot to look forward to. Mark was dead on -- distributing equally from all of his projects with finger-picking ease. "Lost Verses" was hauntingly beautiful. Enough said.

5) My Morning Jacket @ Radio City Music Hall 6/20/08

Without a doubt, this show was the most important performance ever for Jim James and crew. I remember seeing My Morning Jacket just three short years ago a D.C.'s 930 club -- a show that didn't even sell out. Since then, a lot has changed. I was skeptical about the band's booking at such a large venue, but after seeing James tear down the house with a near 3-hour performance, I knew there was no turning back. Shortly after, the band was booked for an MSG New Year's show. If you've got no New Year's plans just yet and don't want to spend the absurd $100+ "all you can drink" bar fee, this is definitely a worthwhile alternative. Live album surely to follow.

4) TV On The Radio @ Brooklyn Masonic Temple 10/13/08

For TVOTR to clock in at number four, this just goes to show how stiff the competition was this year. Definitely the most interesting venue of the year. The Brooklyn Masonic Temple is exactly how it sounds -- the performance space resembled the appearance and size of an elementary school gymnasium. This being said, it was impossible to not like this show. The band played the perfect blend of old and new on an evening that featured a full horn section for the majority of the show. Considering the hype that surrounds this band, I have a feeling it will be a while before I see them at a temple again.

3) Neil Young & Wilco @ MSG 12/16/08

Not to cut corners here, but I just saw this show last week and went into great detail a couple posts ago. Just scroll down to read all about it.

2) Fleet Foxes @ The Grand Ballroom at The Manhattan Center 10/4/08

Don't be deceived by the venue's name; there's nothing colossal about this ballroom located above the Hammerstein Ballroom. And quite frankly this is what made this show so special to me. The Fleet Foxes are hands down the most exciting success story of 2008. To see them play at such a tiny standing room venue was absolutely mind-blowing. These guys are about as hyped as Vampire Weekend, but unlike their '08 amigos, they are legitimately worthy of all this praise. Sweet harmonizing, precocious arrangements, brilliant musicianship, and the best possible attitude for a hipster-approved band are only a few things that make this Northwest quintet the best thing ever. Bonus points for the legendary beards.

1) Sigur Rós @ The Museum of Modern Art 6/17/08

This show will go down as the most transcendent in my book. For this was just not aural ecstasy by one of the best bands in the world; those who were in attendance we treated to a visual art exhibit beforehand by fellow Icelandic countryman Olafur Eliasson. The free Grolsch beer didn't hurt in helping to set the tone. Definitely the best cultural experience of 2008 for me. Refering back to an earlier post, "throughout the course of the night, the guys brought out their standard surprises, which included a full horn section, a wind section, and singer Jónsi Birgisson's trademark falsetto vocals/bow guitar playing abilities." A life-changing combination which easily made this the best show of the year.

No comments: