Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Stay Positive (Part 3)

This is going to be a quick one unfortunately. It's been such an incredible year in music that I initially wanted to go into great detail regarding my picks on the following list. Alas, being the procrastinator I am, it's too much of a daunting task given the amount of time I have left. Here are the 25 best songs of the year (with some caveats of course):

1) These are not necessarily the singles from these artists' respective albums. Rather, I picked what I thought was the best track.

2) The album/song had to come out in 2008 in order to qualify (Bon Iver counts).

3) To shake things up a little bit, I only included one song per artist. The Gaslight Anthem or TV On The Radio could have easily had 3 songs apiece on this list, thus knocking bands like Wolf Parade out of contention. But who really wants that?

4) Finally, there will be absolutely no Lil Wayne.

Here it goes:

Top 25 Songs of 2008

25) MGMT - "Time To Pretend"
24) Coldplay - "Lovers In Japan/Reign of Love"
23) Wolf Parade - "Call It A Ritual"
22) Kanye West - "Heartless"
21) Vampire Weekend - "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa"
20) Tokyo Police Club - "Juno"
19) Santogold - "Shove It"
18) She & Him - "I Thought I Saw Your Face"
17) M83 - "Kim & Jessie"
16) Kings of Leon - "Use Somebody"
15) Glasvegas - "Geraldine"
14) Death Cab For Cutie - "Grapevine Fires"
13) Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - "Fix It"
12) Okkervil River - "Lost Coastlines"
11) Ra Ra Riot - "Can You Tell?"
10) Sigur Ros - "Vid spilum endalaust"
9) TV On The Radio - "Halfway Home"
8) The Avett Brothers - "Tear Down This House"
7) Blitzen Trapper - "Furr"
6) Bon Iver - "Re: Stacks"
5) The Gaslight Anthem - "The Patient Ferris Wheel"
4) My Morning Jacket - "I'm Amazed"
3) Fleet Foxes - "White Winter Hymnal"
2) The Hold Steady - "Constructive Summer"
1) Sun Kil Moon - "Lost Verses"

See you in '09!

No comments: