Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Sun Also Sets

According to Billboard and other numerous sources, Ryan Adams is dissolving the Cardinals (for now) and taking an indefinite "hiatus" from music. Adams posted on his blog, "I am grateful for the time we have had and maybe someday we will have more stories to tell together." He went on to say, "I am however ready for quieter times as I think it is very evident I am struggling with some balance and hearing issues."

Whether it's health issues, a general disgust with his wavering reception, or just being burnt out from the scene, I have a feeling we are being Brett Farve'd here. The man needs music like we all need air to breathe -- he himself knows his lifeblood is music. I think it's a little too early to announce an indefinite retirement, especially when he's been so consistently prolific.

Maybe this time off (if it actually happens) will eventually spell out that elusive Whiskeytown reunion everyone's been anticipating. Or maybe Ryan actually thinks he will be a successful author. Who knows?

No comments: