Wednesday, September 3, 2008

M.I.A., Literally

According to numerous sources, British-by-way-of-Sri Lanka visual artist/songwriter/producer, M.I.A., has pulled a Barry Sanders -- quitting the scene at the top of her game. Earlier this summer, she cryptically shocked the music world after her set at Bonnaroo by announcing that she had just played her last gig. A lot of people speculated that this was just a stunt, but no one thought this would really be the end for her. She was recently interviewed by AceShowbiz.com, where she confirmed, "It was my last ever show. And it still is. I stopped touring after that and I didn't want to make music again. I was quite happy to just leave it all behind. I was happy with what I had achieved."Needless to say, we've heard this before -- The Eagles, The Smashing Pumpkins, Jay-Z -- pick your poison. I have a feeling once the royalities of "Paper Plans" start to peter out, she might reconsider. Hmm...just when we thought neon was making a comeback.

No comments: